PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas; the thread.
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2005, 10:30
captainrats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qantas:How did it come to this ?

Background
This relates to Longhaul Cabin Crew and can viewed by looking at two distinct periods:Before October 1988 and after October 1988.
Before October 1988.
Rosters were 56 days in length and were allocated.After 3 years of service you were entitled to a "request trip"which you were guaranteed of receiving.Onboard there was a Flight Service Director.A Chief (who ran P/C)He was assisted by a P/C FA and the food was prepared by a dedicated "Air Chef".Air Craft were generally configured 16/16/401(P/J/C). J/C and Y/C were run by Senior flight Attendants.They were responsible for Selling Duty Free and completing bar orders and any Customs Documentation.
Everyone was paid the same ,irrespective of the hours worked.Supervisory crew were paid a higher duties component and the Air Chef received a skills loading
If you were married you could request to be on the so called"married roster"ie. fly with your partner.If you needed to be home fairly regularly(not do long trips)you could apply for short division flying:nothing longer than four days.
Allowances weren`t worth much as the $A was managed not floating.Most of us spent most of our wages before we got home through a cheque encashment facility QF had arranged with slip port hotels.Allowances were not adequate to live on while in slips.Most of us had second jobs where we earnt more than we were paid at QF.Standown time was 75% of the lenght of the trip just completed.ie a 12 day trip had 9 days of standown.
Whatever happened on an aircraft or while you were away stayed there.No bringing it back into the office.
Since the sixties QF had developed a reputation for having friendly efficient service with a touch of Australian larrikinism thrown in.Lots of fun was had on board and the pax benefitted from seeing happy smiling crew faces.
There were two unions:a so called "boys union" and a "girls union".Prior to around `85 there was generally one girl onboard.She worked in P/C and handed out landing documents.
Things began to change around 1985.More females were employed and the Australian dollar was floated.Allowances became worth something.
After 1988.
Through a deal done with the Girls Union a bid system and a new set of work rules were introduced.Suddenly you could fly where you wanted to if you had the seniority,allowances were worth something and you were paid an hourly rate.For this you relinquished 25% of your standown time.Small subgroups began to develop.There were those who only went to the states.The "yen men" began.The downside was that new crew generally flew with new crew.The experience and knowledge was not passed on.Inconsistencies in service began to creep in.Resentment between senior and junior crew started.
Next step was QF merging with TAA(Rebadged Australian Airlines)New problems of differing crew cultures and merging of seniority occurred.It was not a generally happy marriage..Further resentment.
Next was the horseshoe..a crew member was removed in Y/C.Qantas was now privatised..costs and profit were now important.Next was a restructure of crew complements.Chiefs were removed.Next senior Flight Attendants were renamed supervisors and then eventually two were removed.The FSD became the Customer Service Manager.Another crew member was removed and the Air Chef position was abolished.
From an Association point of view you had QF longhaul,Ansett Shorthaul and Australian Shorthaul thrown in together.Not a happy mix.Both shorthauls had the numbers and pushed their own agendas.Ansett flight attendants were making decisions that were affecting QF longhaul crew.
Unfortunately Ansett failed and in steps Virgin to fill the void.Competition breaks out.The cosy domestic duopoly is finished.Low Cost Carriers were in abundance in Europe and the States.The time was ripe for further change.
It was about this time that things began to turn nasty between QF management and its employees(particularly Longhaul Crew).Consultation disappeared.Threats were made.Sars and the Gulf War intruded.The Company asked for some leeway.It was given in the form of a wage freeze and a shortened EBA.A couple of clauses regarding off shore bases were inserted.Promises of consultation were issued by QF management.
No consultation.Employees find out about the LHR bases through tthe media.Betrayal.
In order to further reduce costs the quality and quantity of food is reduced.Qantas begins outsourcing.Aircraft stores are distributed around the world by DANZAS using ocean going transport.Shortages become chronic.The IFE(in flight entertainment System) is introduced..A disaster.Maintenace and engineering have their cost base reduced.Aircraft breakdown more often or leave with toilets not working,ovens not working,coffee makers INOP,lights and sound systems malfunction regularly.Apology Airlines is born.Crew are now apologizing more than ever to now irate passengers.Crew write reports..these are largley ignored.Frustration becomes endemic.Crew can no longer do their job well and must apologize for shortcomings caused by others.Frustration and Anger=disengagement.
This is a brief history of the current circumstances.The chronology may be a little off but the rest is fairly accurate.
I hope this gives a clearer understandoing of why QF CC are so upset.Too much change poorly managed through a lack of communication and consultation.
Crew who want to do their job well and being denied the resources and the avenue to remedy the shortcomings.
This is why I left..I was prevented from doing my job well.Prevented by my employer who insisted I do my job better with less or no resources.As the frustration increased retirement beckoned.
I understand the anger ,the frustration and venom that circulates in these threads.
Qantas is no longer a happy place and no one seems to care but the employees.It is no longer a good airline.There are those who will argue that it is no longer even a good business.

Last edited by captainrats; 26th May 2005 at 15:35.