PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Jet
Thread: Sea Jet
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2005, 22:23
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The last time I had any sort of letter from a Minister (via my MP) it was exactly what I expected (the party line) and not terribly illuminating.

Meanwhile, the June 2005 edition of Air Forces Monthly has a feature on Future UK Maritime Airpower. This discusses CVF, JSF, MASC, and the various helicopters that might be carried.

The article starts with a computer image of two F35Bs (does the F35 have a name) overflying a beach where a landing is taking place, although it seems to featue US not British landing craft. Of the Sea Harrier:

The Sea Harrier has been a sucess story for the Royal Navy, having earned its battle spurs during the Falklands conflict in 1982. Its replacement, the F35B JSF, will provide the RN with far greater combat effectiveness than the Sea Harrier, WHICH IS STILL A HIGH PERFORMANCE FIGHTER AIRCRAFT. (My capitals).

The article criticises the decision not to armour CVF in the light of increased threats from anti ship missiles. It also states:

Furthermore, the potential for a major state based threat to British interests still exists, which could require the Royal Navy to engage in a high intensity conflict against a competent foe.

Something the MOD planners say is impossible?

There is also an article on Indian Navy aviation. India's Sea Harriers are being upgraded, with new radar, avionics and missiles. No mention of a new engine, despite the warm climes it must experience. There is an article of the retirement of the F14 Tomcat. However, the USN is not losing the air defence role, simply passing it the Hornet/Super Hornet.