PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our Brave Boys? Or Murdering Thugs?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2005, 17:07
sparkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting replies so far...

Having survived Gulf War 1 amonst other confrontations over my lengthy service career, its always easy to condemn out of hand any alleged injustices, mistreatment of prisoners or brutality without knowing the real facts

Did anyone watch the movie of TV last night called Rules of Engagement? I know its several years old but it raised some interesting issues.

I remember when I was in Cyprus during the mid 60's and EOKA terrorists were purported to be making attempts to attack military bases, we were issued with a nice ROE card, written in English and Greek. (Can still remember Halt/Stamata) Quite frankly it was a joke, the end result being, dont shoot until the b*ggers are smacking you over the head.

but I digress

I totally abhor any mistreatment of any indivudual but lets face it, many of us have been there when the decision to act has to be made in a split second.

If the story from the Sunday Times is true, then I have no doubt that in this very politically correct world we live in, someone will take the appropriate action.

Interestingly in the same paper today there is an article about the rocket attack on the Herc, that ended in tragedy. Try asking the family and relatives of the aircrew lost how they feel, kinda brings things into focus.

The problem in defence is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower