PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFT - APP program
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2005, 15:13
Mark Collins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birky,

I have just read your response to my initial post and I feel it appropriate to add a few points to the cost issues you are concerned about.

Firstly, Accommodation. You are correct in saying that it is $575 per month for APP students. The structure of the course is such that the students are only in the USA for approx 6/7 months. The rest of the time they are at home studying for ATPL exams or in the UK for the end of their IR.

Therefore the approx cost of accommodation in the USA for the APP student is $4,000. In addition to this there will be a cost of accommodation in the UK for the IR. EFT will provide bed & breakfast details for students. So, what are you actually paying for in the USA? The accommodation cost includes your utility bills and local phone bill. The houses include furniture, TV, Microwave and a washer/dryer. If this accommodation is full then overspill housing is used that provide similar facilities.

When the student returns after the IR to start the Instructor phase there are some options. Firstly, the instructor can stay in the student houses at a reduced rate (currently $450) or secondly they can choose to live elsewhere. I currently live South of Fort Pierce and pay approx $500 per month in a shared house. Many Instructors live with each other outside of the houses and again this is cheaper.

Now, the FAA training cost. $10,000 is an accurate estimate, but it breaks down like this. Initially the outlay is approx $5,000 - this gives you an FAA single engine Commercial/Instrument and CFI rating. This gets you instructing, you have to have these ratings to be legal and insured in the aircraft.

While you are studying for these ratings you will be involved in the school doing ground briefings, airport pick ups and other duties. You will be compensated for this so living is getting a little easier. The aim of it is to bring you into the instructing team and give you some experience and confidence.

Once you have passed your FAA ratings you will start instructing, for the next 6-8 months you will be teaching the JAA PPL, Night and IMC ratings.

Once you have gained 200hrs instructing you will be given a stage check by the CFI which will enable you to start teaching the JAA CPL. Once you have gained sufficient experience, if you want to and it is commercially viable, you can invest the further $5,000 in your FAA Multi Commercial/Instrument, Multi and Instrument Instructor ratings.

To teach in the multi at EFT you need 100hrs mutli time for insurance purposes, the cost of this is covered in the $5,000. It is also worth noting that if you do all these ratings before you start instructing there will be a cost saving. The training for the FAA ratings is conducted by Ari Ben Aviator and they provide very reasonable pricing for EFT students.

The above is my own experiences with EFT and it should be said that EFT are very flexible in terms of your development and they will afford every assistance possible to enable you to meet your own personal goals.

In summary, hopefully you can now see that the accommodation costs are not as much as you thought them to be and the additional FAA ratings give you a significant addition to your CV as well as the hours mentioned on the website.

It is also worth remembering that while instructing here you are being financially compensated and therefore not living off borrowed money anymore. The compensation is approx. $1200 per month - more than enough to live and cover your expenses. Not a glamorous lifestyle, but it is enough.

Hopefully that has clarified any remaining issues for both yourself and any other interested parties. If you have any further concerns please do not hesitate to drop EFT or myself an email.

Once last point to Two Dead Dogs - You are correct EFT don't own their aircraft, they are leased as required from Ari Ben Aviator. A common practice in aviation. This enables EFT to keep costs low and remain in a financially strong position during any downturn in the industry.

The fleet of aircraft now consists of 12 BE76 Duchess, 10 C-172, 1 PA28 Arrow and 1 C-152 (owned by EFT).

Mark Collins.

Last edited by Mark Collins; 20th May 2005 at 15:27.