PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big increase in profits at BA
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2005, 14:11
ShortfinalFred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its all very well sticking yer head up yer ar@e and saying you cant see the daylight - its still daytime out there!

Half a billion on its own is meaningless - hence ratio analysis - what does that represent as a proportion of turnover? (Operating ratio) as a proportion in relation to total debt? as a proportion of unit sales?

Dont just shoot me down because you dont like the message - argue back with facts.

I think you'll find that on any of these measures BA has a vast amount to do, and that if we slip back form this level of performance at any stage, we are finished in the long term.

I guarantee that three years from now BA will be a shadow of what it is now - employee levels will be halved, or more, FSS pension will be closed to everyone including existing members, flightcrew pay will be down by a third and work levels will be at legal maxima, CC will have had an extended strike and lost and all old contract crew with pensions will be gone.

I dont like it, but its there staring at us and WW was appointed to do just this.

I kid you not but I am going to retrain as a plumber on my days off - I know there will be no pension worth spit and I intend to have a job to see me throught the early stages of retirement or if, as has just happened to my mate, I lose my medical as a direct consequence of an unsustainable way of rostering work.