PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Service Air B747F
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2005, 18:34
cargodawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rosbif,

Not sure what "that's a bunch of tosh" means.

You might want to spend a little more time looking at the economics of these aircraft and less time concerning what flag is on the aircraft.

The DC10 is a less than ideal tool for transpacific. Run the numbers and you'll lose your shirt with it trying to operate PVG-ANC-YYZ with enough yield to make a buck!

Don't see Transport Canada having anything to do with this. The DC10 cannot do the asia run as profitably as a MD11 - period!

I'd find it hard to believe that ACE would have gone out and secured a DC10 without a LOI or a contract from AC. If they did shame on them. If AC had a contract with them then they can expect a legal battle at some point.

Additionally, why would Air Canada or ACE be eager to do business with each other after AC cancelled the domestic contract in September?

From all I've seen and read it appears to be a "if you build it they will come" type approach but who knows. John's a smart guy at ACE and they'll likely have some work lined up for it (heard at one point an intra-Europe operation).

Either way, definitely best of luck to ACE and congrats on the new addition.

Don't know what your beef is with Air Canada or with World, but the fact is that foreign operators currently have the equipment to do the job. If a Canadian operator could get a decent wide body freighter in operation there would be plenty of opportunity.

Don't understand how you're bringing the YHZ incident into this discussion. I guess by your standards no foreign operators should operate on Canadian soil? The MK air flight wasn't being subbed out by any Canadian carrier and was stopping in YHZ to top the load. What's a Canadian operator to do, try and operate YHZ-LGG for fish? The only way these guys were trying to make it work was to split the load between JFK and YHZ and since no Canadian operator was servicing the run, TC granted the rights.

If ACE had secured an aircraft that was suitable for the task I would say that perhaps you have a slight arguement, but to say the DC10 should suffice wrong. But, the two are not the same. The MD11 has almost 25% more capacity and payload with a lower fuel burn... But I guess that's not really a consideration right? Just the fact that it's a foreign carrier.

Either way, sounds like you're all full of piss and vinegar, so enjoy your rant.

Last edited by cargodawg; 16th May 2005 at 18:54.