PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash In Gloucester, 2 Injured
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2005, 17:09
Presstransdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish to compliment Thomas Coupling on his recent reply to crab.

As a SAR pilot I am beginning to get concerned that his comments might be taken as in anyway representative of those of SAR crews in general.

They are not.

In fact, I cannot help thinking it must be a wind up!

The assets that were used on the task that prompted this thread were, as far as I am aware, by far the most suitable and the most qualified.

The average SAR machine is not ideal for this task, not least because it ties up an asset which maybe required in more appropriate circumstances.

I think thanks must go to everybody in the chain of recovery including the hospital.
If I ever end up in similar bother then a 135, a couple of well qualified paramedics, a pilot with some local knowledge and a quick transfer to hospital will do me fine thanks.

As regards the CAA not allowing this or that, I have never had the CAA question my judgement in carrying out any tasking although I fully expect to do so should they ask.
I cannot see that they would ever now or in the future say no to a job requiring the saving of life providing that it was fully justifiable.

By justifiable I mean that

1) The casualties are in immediate danger
2) There is no quicker or safer way of accomplishing the task
3) The risk to the helicopter and crew should be balanced against the condition of the casualties.
4) The competence of the crew and helicopter capability must be considered
5) Most importantly of all, third parties must not be put at undue risk.

Apologies for straying slightly away from the thread again but it had to be said