PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Jet
Thread: Sea Jet
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2005, 10:52
SSSETOWTF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navaleye,

Just to clear a point of confusion up - the USMC refer to 'Day Attack' AV8Bs when they're talking about a model very similar to the GR5 ie no FLIR, non-NVG compatible cockpit lights, one MPCD etc. VMAT-203, their OCU may still fly a couple, but none of the front-line sqns do. Front-line sqns fly a mix of 'Night Attacks', which is almost identical in capability to a GR7A (ie FLIR + big motor), and II+. I haven't flown the SHar, but I really don't believe that the USMC use the radar in anything like the same way as you boys do. Besides, their ship's TACANs seem to be pretty reliable.

And as for non-radar carrier aircraft - how about the A-4?

Widger,

Nozzle nudge is in the 'nice-to-have' category as it just stops your left hand from having to do the braking-stop nozzle dance when you've over-cooked your approach. But it's not much more than that. As for not getting a cue when to go to hover stop - you've probably heard some complaints from the guys when they're on their initial work-ups and it's all very new. After a little experience, you get your eye in and it becomes a no-brainer. My gouge was to stick the HUD horizon bar on the back of the ship and go to hover stop when the back of the boat was 2/3 the width of the bar. As a side note, the USMC LSOs don't tell the pilot when to select hover stop, they acknowledge the pilot's call.

Single Seat, Single Engine, The Only Way To Fly

Last edited by SSSETOWTF; 16th May 2005 at 22:38.