PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash In Gloucester, 2 Injured
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2005, 08:58
Crashondeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all I am glad to hear the lady has come out of the coma and I hope she continues to make a speedy recovery.

Crab,

I appreciate what you are trying to say and I know how important command and control is when dealing with incidents. After all someone has to coordinate the efforts of the various assets deemed necessary to respond to a tasking. There is no doubt that ARCC are the experts in coordinating response to air accidents.

But in this case, the pilot raised the alarm not on RT, but by telephone. We don't know what was said in the conversation with the 999 controller, but it would have been clear that the incident occured in a back garden of a rural, but not remote location. This incident is not about looking for an over due aircraft in the Highlands of Scotland or in the mountains of Wales. Nor are we talking about a large aircraft with many many passengers. As I said in my previous post and I am sure you will agree, the casualty must come first. Therefore given the FIRST HAND information the ambulance controller had, it would be perfectly reasonable to respond using an air ambulance and fire brigade. Involving ARCC would have delayed the response to the incident by at least a couple of phone calls. Following the proper protocols (which it seems has not been communicated to ambulance controls around the country) would almost certainly have delayed treatment reaching the casualty and that is simply not good.