PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EEG no longer required at initial JAA Class 1 (merged)
Old 16th May 2005, 08:37
7E7Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Tango

I’m sorry to hear about your predicament; I know exactly what you’re going through at the moment. Although I never suffered a seizure I’m still trying to get my medical.

The current FAA policy on medical certification following a single seizure requires a 4 year period of being seizure free and off medication for at least the last 2 years prior to consideration. For a multiple seizure event then the observation period prior to medical certification is currently 10 years seizure free with the last 3 years being off medication.

It’s true a diagnosis of epilepsy can’t be made unless you had more than one seizure. Still, special issuance is still required with the FAA, and they don’t really like abnormal EEGs. I don’t know what’s exactly involved with the FAA if the reason for your seizure is very clear. You might try www.aviationmedicine.com and ask them.

As for the folks at Gatwick I can’t give you a qualified answer. Below I’ve enclosed Appendix 11 of the JARs (as found on http://www.jaa.nl/jars_npas/jars/435247.pdf), paragraphs 2 and 5 would probably require you to wait at least 10 years. As these are the JARs they still require a normal EEG, but this apparently will be kicked out, see my thread “EEG no longer required at initial JAA Class 1.” Maybe at Gatwick they wouldn’t want you to have a perfect EEG…

Good luck & keep trying!

7E7Flyer

Appendix 11 to Subparts B and C
Neurological requirements
(See JAR–FCL 3.210 and 3.330)

1 Any stationary or progressive disease of the nervous system which has caused or is likely to cause a significant disability is disqualifying. However, the AMS may consider minor functional losses, associated withstationary disease, acceptable after full evaluation.

2 A diagnosis of epilepsy is disqualifying, unless there is unequivocal evidence of a syndrome of benign
childhood epilepsy associated with a very low risk of recurrence, and the applicant has been free of recurrence and off treatment for more than 10 years. One or more convulsive episodes after the age of 5 is disqualifying. However, an acute symptomatic seizure which is considered by a consultant neurologist acceptable to the AMS to have a very low risk of recurrence may be accepted by the AMS.

3 Epileptiform paroxysmal EEG abnormalities and focal slow waves normally are disqualifying. Further
evaluation shall be carried out by the AMS.

4 A history of one or more episodes of disturbance of consciousness of uncertain cause is disqualifying. A
single episode of such disturbance of consciousness may be accepted by the AMS when satisfactorily explained but a recurrence is normally disqualifying.

5 An applicant having had a single afebrile epileptiform seizure which has not recurred after at least 10
years while off treatment, and where there is no evidence of continuing predisposition to epilepsy, may be
granted a licence if the risk of a further seizure is considered in the limits acceptable to the AMS. For Class 1
certification an “OML” limitation shall be applied.

6 Any head injury which has been severe enough to cause loss of consciousness or is associated with
penetrating brain injury must be assessed by the AMS and be seen by a consultant neurologist acceptable to the AMS. There must be a full recovery and a low risk (in the limits acceptable to the AMS) of epilepsy before recertification

7 Consideration of applicants with a history of spinal or peripheral nerve injury shall be undertaken in
conjunction with the musculo-skeletal requirements, Appendices and Manual Chapter.

8 The assessment of malignant conditions in this system is also explained in the Oncology Chapter of the
Manual which provides information regarding certification and should be consulted together with the Chapter
specific to this system. All intracerebral malignant tumours are disqualifying.

[Amdt. 2, 01.06.02]