PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash In Gloucester, 2 Injured
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2005, 09:24
ec135driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Crab but you still havn't substantiated your claim that SAR assets should be tasked to all aircraft crashes in the UK.

Consider that tasking must be relevant to the nature of the incident and the terrain/time. This incident occurred on a sunny sunday afternoon in rural herefordshire, at the home of the aircraft owner (who made the initial call himself) Its a fair bet that in this circumstance access is reasonable, we assume he drives a car and can park at home.

We took off at 1700 at were on scene at 1710, the fire service attended minutes after us. The Police helicopter attended within 10 minutes of our arrival (thats my recollection, not a recorded time). Had I felt it necessary, I could have requested a second aircraft from our group, which would have been on scene within approx 20mins. Now lets say a resource was activated from chivenor? track distance about 85nm, time?

Our patient was at a major trauma unit in birmingham at 1805

If the call had stated that an aircraft had crashed into the side of Pen y Fan at 0100 then you might well be the most appropriate response, but you simply cannot say that you should be tasked to every aircraft accident in the uk.

Oh and by the way, it is offensive to suggest that there are air paramedics who are not as brave as the two I carried that day. Do you have winchmen who take a look out the back on a wet night and say "not tonight guv"? No I didn't think so.

Secondly, my aircraft is day/night/ifr capable, with the capability for fully coupled approaches to 50'. The only things we lack at the moment are a winch and nvg.