PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A/C flies with tape covered alt static ports?
Old 14th May 2005, 02:07
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A tad harsh methinks. SA staff do their best but they are working most of the time with one hand tied behind their backs. Besides which, what the hell does any of this have to do with SA?
His point was that he felt unable to take it further for fear that his job might be at risk if he did - therefore it has everything to do with SA.

In my time I have seen them wipe out hatches with GPU's that weren't chocked and got blown into the aircraft by high winds, I have seen one baggage loader lock another in the hold by mistake, I have seen ramp guys very nearly sliced and diced by props, one guy who was doing our pushback with his clipboard in his hand, and as he was disconnecting lost the clipboard, which promptly disappeared into No 2 engine... that one cost a bit... then there was the one that placed some steps against an aircraft which weren't secured, and moved away from the aircraft when the pax started de-planing... shall I go on...

Of course these things aren't confined to SA, but by the same token they aren't immune to error. Saying they do their best with "one hand tied behind their backs" merely highlights the problem - nobody is singling out the ramp guys - we are talking about the whole organisation.