PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A/C flies with tape covered alt static ports?
Old 13th May 2005, 01:22
Irish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you write a CHIRP at the time of the incident?
No, several reasons. Wasn't sure if non flight crew can raise CHIRP reports, and second, pure simple fear.

If you'd been sat where I was when it was "discussed", even confidential reporting doesn't look very inviting if it's going to mean it gets back to management, and there was a real risk that it might, and they'd have known exactly where to come, the number of people working on the ramp at that time that would know enough to report an incident like this was way too small for comfort, they'd have come to me in about 5 seconds. At the time, I had a mortgage and some very large bills to pay, and losing the job wasn't going to do anything to improve flight safety at the time.

To make it worse, some maintenance people use silver coloured speed tape that is very easily missed on aluminium.
Exactly what they\'d done, and to be fair, it was only that I was quite close that I spotted it, and realised something strange was going on. I would have thought that a pair of suitably moulded plugs, with red streamers, would be standard aircraft kit, along with the gear locking pins, pitot cover etc, and that way, there\'s not the same level of doubt. Still requires that the cleaner uses them, rather than taking the quick route of a bit of speed tape.