PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 777 for Qantas
Thread: 777 for Qantas
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2005, 15:02
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Keg,

My understanding is that the RAAF is not getting A330's, it is true to say they are getting new aircraft that are based on the A330 airframe, but they will not be certified as A330s, they will have military type certificate data sheets due to the role they play (i.e. tankering large volumes of fuel and delivering them to aircraft in-flight).

Since they are not certified as A330s, the crew flying these "state" aircraft will not need to be A330 type rated, this means no automatic A330 type rating on the CASA licence, however with the number of ex-RAAF in CASA, anything is possible.

The 737's on the other hand are civilian airframes, and the crew have the ability to transfer the mil 737 rating automatically to the CASA licence.

Going Boeing,

Your statement is correct, but only partially. The A330 airframe and engines, crews were all serviceable.

The 8 out of 11 A330's were unserviceable last weekend referres to the IFE.

The cheap low quality Rockwell Collins IFE it a total nightmare, why QF has gone with cheap for IFE is beyond me. Passengers only remember the service they get from the crew, and the IFE.

Is it little surprise that the wonderful Rockwell Collins IFE is based on MS Windows, now that has never frozon on anyone before.

Why did QF cut costs in this area and not go with the same systems SQ and EK are using is beyond me, and everyone who flying with them loves their IFE, because it works.

Heard of A330s with the Rockwell Collins IFE having over 50% of the seats IFE not working, cabin crew having to reset the whole IFE system in-flight. The Rockwell Collins IFE is a QF customisation, nothing to do with Airbus (SQ and EK don’t have problems on their Airbus aircraft with IFE).

Run of the mill business or cattle class SLF don’t care if they fly Boeing or Airbus, as long as they are fed, watered, kept entertained, and get there, they are happy.

404 Titan,

When the 747-400 was first introduced it had snags galore, many times the only way to fix it was to totally unpower the whole aircraft and start from scratch, problems get identified and then addressed, airframe gets better.

The A340-600 will settle down, it will get better.