PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you deliberately ground-loop a Cessna single?
Old 11th May 2005, 04:15
NoseGear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This actually happened to a friend!

This event happened to a friend of mine while I was on board, some facts have been ommitted to protect the innocent/guilty!

We had been caught by a bit of wx so decided to land and wait it out. We were landing on a one way strip with about a 20-30kt tailwind, with short, wet grass to boot. During the final stages of the approach,and because of the tailwind, we floated down the runway, trying to put it on, but with the high groundspeed, it bounced a couple of times. Finally on, max brakes were applied, which of course was like braking on ice and we careened towards the end of the runway with a 2ft ditch, fence and road immediately at the end. At about a 100meters or so to go, it was plainly obvious we were never going to stop on time, so my mate applies full right rudder and brake, and next thing I see is the hangar going by sideways in the front window! I waited for the leg to break and the wing to dig in but we did a complete 180 and then he gave it full power and we came to a stop about 20 meters or so from the end. This is in a 172 by the way. It was very coolheaded thinking, and he told me afterwards he had read about a guy who did it in a C180 and thought he might as well try it! Of course, in hindsight we should have landed into wind with the strength of it, but we had the one-way mindset so accepted the tailwind.