PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Bid Period 238
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2005, 02:02
HoHum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Children, Children, children!!!!
Enough of the slagging off at each other.
It is time that some of you came to the understanding that the industry has and will always change. Remember the words- "an ever changing and dynamic industry" - Ring any bells???!!!

Yes, many of you have started in they heyday when trips were long and fun and conditions were better - but now-a-days it is all about shareholders, profits and being financially viable against the competition.
It is also a very hard industry to get into and the airlines are making it that much harder to get into a full time position with all the perks. - MAM's, contracts, even LCCs etc These days it is better to take what you can if you have a passion enough about flying, so I understand the situation others are in.

But I prompt you to think of the attitude that many have, and think of what happened to Ansett workers. AN had great conditions, bad management ( -yeah ) but at the end of the day - they could not compete against the likes of Impulse/ Virgin Blue and QF ( who could only do this by adjusting its conditions - Mam's etc) These companies showed that they could be more competitive and the result was that they hurt Ansett. This is and will always happen the world over - so while we don't want to lose all the perks and enjoyment of the positions, we have to remember that we have to compromise too - otherwise - it may just be us looking for positions elsewhere.

QFSCM - yeah - you have been lucky to have had a great career spanning that long but NO, QF does not owe you anything!!! Every industry has to change - because it is us - the public (meaning you and I) who want things when we shop, purchase etc.
I can probably safely assume that you are one of the people who have shopped on weekends, late at night with 24hr shopping, do your banking at weekends, gone to the movies etc - well - think of the conditions of those workers who didn't have to do that in the past!!!! They had to move with the times.
And on the subject - how many times do you pay full fare when you fly? - It is great to have staff travel -fantastic savings!!! - but think of the ublic - the less of them who can afford to fly - the less aircraft and staff are needed - want to be out of a job?

Yeah - it ain't necessarily fair - but - move on and enjoy what you can of everything. If you don't want to enjoy what is left of your job - then maybe look at what else is out there - I can assure you that there isn't much else out there which you would like. Let someone else in who is enthusiastic and prepared to enjoy the ride that your job offers them. To them, it would probably be their best dreams - although to you it is your nightmare.
And sure, fight for some things but within perspective - the future wont stand still for anyone Sorry to break it to you.

All the best to all.