PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When do helis get junked?
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2005, 13:22
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"...R-22 as a kind of disposable helicopter... 2000 or 2200 hour ... complete overhaul."

Interesting. So this is powertrain rebuild time. Any idea what the overhaul involves?

"Insurance and staff could well be the biggest single cost..."

I had wondered about this. My view is if the machine is very easy to fly, and has few mechanical parts each of which is very reliable, repair cost/frequency goes down. This pushes down insurance through competition.

"...picked up a B3 like this, the only original bits were the engine and one blade, and they had only 100 hours on them anyway."

Data plates: Interesting way to get new stuff out there. Definately reinforces my view about the importance of spare parts business though.

"...additional maintenance of their helicopters when they get in the 10-15K hour area"

So is this a generally regarded figure for heli life then?

"... past a certain age you will start to get structural problems from fatigue and/or corrosion."

I take it that again 10k - 15k hours is an accepted figure for lifespan?

"...'on condition'... items will need to changing too, as their condition will have fallen below spec."

Interesting. I am curious what (say) Bell themselves regards as the design life of a new heli.

Mart