PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Defence Secretary
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2005, 18:25
pr00ne

Received 140 Likes on 65 Posts
Talking

Oh dear, what a bunch of bad losers!

A good headin,

I think you will find that the “poxy little advisors” to the Secretary of State are the CDS and the Chiefs of Staff.

exleckie,

What reduced budget? It’s been INCREASED in the last two budgets and Defence White papers.

I think that Reid will be a good Defence Secretary, knows the subject, has an actual interest in the subject and is his own man.
If what tetering head says is true then that just reinforces my opinion, how many of your own leadership would have taken such a stance?

BEagle,

Anything to oblige!

Now, let’s see, what is there to be pleased about?

Lots methinks!

A 67 seat majority, Blair increased the size of his own personal vote, a first EVER third term for a Labour Government and Blair is now counted as being as, if not more, successful a PM as Thatcher and Lord Palmerston. (to quote Portillo)

A good kicking? Come on! Most post war PM’s would have given their right arm for a majority the size that Blair has now, let alone in a third term, just compare this victory to that of The Tories in their third term, they had a majority of 21 as opposed to 67 yet that was seen as a magnificent victory, so how come this isn’t?

The supposedly most unpopular PM ever, who has been accused of being a liar, who has alienated a sizeable chunk of his own party by attacking Iraq in 2003 and the Tories still cannot manage a larger share of the vote than Michael Foot did in 1983, Michael Foot!!!

All in all a good night and a good night for constitutional politics, a comfortable working majority but now Blair will have to be a little more of a team player or his own back bench rebels will cause trouble, that can be nothing but good.

The Conservative Party? Oh dear, oh dear dear dear…………………………..