PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas; the thread.
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2005, 02:30
GalleyHag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I support jakejet 110%, over the past couple of months the standard of new crew is getting worse and worse and their attitude to serious aspects of the role including EP's never ceases to amaze me.

I recently flew with 2 girls who had never been on an aircraft before joining MAM, needless to say there were a few tears on arrival after passing through a thunderstorm on decent into Sydney. I use to admire my fellow crew for their ability to cope with any situation but when the tears and screams start flowing from crew during turbulence you have to wonder what the hell's going on.

Long term MAM casuals are a totally different breed with more life and work experience and usually a joy to work with Im talking new recruits from the past 10-12 months (and not all by the way just a large majority). I could care less about age but the majority that I have flown with aged 22 and under have no life experience and cant even cope with being away on a 3 day trip. There are mature young adults and immature young adults and sadly QF/MAM has taken quite a few of the latter in recent times.

Another problem is a lot of good people will not accept casual anymore, it does appear we are getting some people who would normally be rejected at the assessment centre purely because they are prepared to accept casual. 2-3 years ago this wasnt the case as Im sure any MAM casual employed 3 years ago would have expected to at least been given the opportunity for permanent employment. NOW people on the outside know there is zero chance of this happening therefore instead of the old attitude of I will take casual as it may lead to permanent has been replaced with bugger that Im not going to be a casual for ever so we get whatever is left and thats people like the above who have never flown in their life.

Furthermore as longer terms casuals are now realising its not impossible but VERY VERY difficult to borrow money for a car or house. The flexabilities of being a casual are gone and replaced with more of a part-time style of work without the benefits and yearly the old tease comes out that maybe just maybe we will employ some of you into permanent jobs and never do. The last MAM casuals converted to permanent was in 2003, over 2 years ago now.

Sadly this is byproduct of the Qantas strategy of no permanent employment and something we just have to accept.