PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The worst job possible?
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2005, 13:13
Bravo73

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Brassed Off - Hmmm, now we don't have to resort to silly (ie how much would it cost if I trained for 1300hrs in a B206...) arguments, do we? You know that it doesn't actually work like that in the real world. A more viable alternative might be the more 'traditional' route of PPL, CPL, FI, Job, 1500hrs. (Or even in your 'good old days', PPL, FI, Job, CPL).

And to address a couple of your other points:
Where is the pilot who is actually going to have vast experience in a 206 in bad weather and at night going to come from. Er, Canada, the US, even over here in humble ol' Blighty. But this probably brings us to the crux of the matter - legality and ethics aside, is this really a job for a low-time girl/guy? I would argue that it's actually a job for a reasonably experienced 206 Pilot who, most importantly, has got the balls to say 'no' when 'no' is needed. As has been discussed many times on this board, a freshly licensed girl/guy (even with a 'mighty' CPL) who really, really needs that 1st job, probably wouldn't have the required experience/will. And put simply, the experienced guy/girl who should really be doing the job wouldn't even give it a second look. And rightly so, IMHO.

But I've also noticed that you've deftly avoided some of the earlier issues that your original post raised. Would you mind answering these questions: Should PPLs be flying for renumeration? In all weather, day and night - in a VFR Jetranger? Would you recommend this job to a friend or family member? Many thanks.

Whirlygig - you see these sorts of roles as being detrimental to the image and standing of professional pilots Well, not really. Any commercial job involves an element of bag carrying and 'yes, sir, no, sir'. The danger with this job is being stuck in a field at the wrong end of the country, in the middle of winter, in worsening weather with night approaching and trying to get the 'wealthy individual' to understand that it really isn't safe to fly home, although he might have been on numerous airliners in similar conditions....

we all have to start somewhere and in this economic climate, that "somewhere" is right at the bottom. Sure is. But you could always just follow the well-worn, 'traditional' path of PPL, CPL, FI, Job. (In another thread, I said that you'd have to be either 'exceptionally lucky or exceptionally well connected' to get a job with just a CPL. I think that this is a case of being exceptionally UNlucky).

TFS - I think you'd already let the cat bolt Well, I personally think that being advertised in a national publication left that particular cattery door open (to continue your idiom).

SilsoeSid - Why do I get the feeling that this thread was started to deter any prospective applicants? Really? Do you think so? Was it me stating "are you saying that you'd recommend this job to a friend or family member? I know that I wouldn't." that was the giveaway? I'm not even sure of what conspiracy theory it is that you're alluding to this time. I'm just surprised that you haven't illustrated your point with an amusing and pithy little image...

Droopystop - But what has a low time CPL(H) got to loose apart from the cost of a mobile phone call? Your self-respect?

Steve76 - The worse job possible? You really must be kidding You're right. Shovelling sh*t must be a worse job. And I'm sure that there's probably someone in this world who has to shovel sh*t by helicopter. But this job is pretty low down the scale on the grand scheme of things.

Gee, don'cha just love PPRuNe? A quick post about something that might come up in any crewroom and suddenly there's talk of conspiracy theories and the like. Slightly more worrying is that it unearthed details of some slightly more risky operations (PPLs flying for renumeration etc). I'm personally not a big fan of the Campaign Against Aviation but I hope that this is one situation/operation that they will be keeping a very close eye on...

And just to cast another light on things - occasionally, yacht-based jobs come up where the pilot has to fly newer, often twin engined a/c around some of the nicer parts of the world (the Med or the Caribbean). During their non-flying time, they might be expected to scrub the occasional deck or two (ie 'other duties'). Now, the general consensus was that these jobs should be avoided yet some on this board are actively encouraging others to go for this particular B206 job. As our American cousins might say, 'Go Figure'!

B73