PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - type ratings too expensive?
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2005, 06:54
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The real answer lies in the fact that the CAA, for no conceivable reason other than blatant shameless protectionism of their mates in the European training industry, have passed this daft rule that says they will not recognize type ratings issued outwith JAA countries (unless they have 500 hours on type).

The sheer breathtaking arrogance of an outfit, that can sit there and decree that a Boeing type rating issued by the manufacturer at the factory is not up to European standards of safety.

After all there are some really dodgy TRTOs out there in the non-European wilderness ... goodness me, the British couldn't possibly consider compromising their superior European safety standards by allowing their wannabes to go get their type ratings issued by someone like Flightsafety (the biggest training provider in the world) or Qantas (the airline with the best safety record in history) ... or United Airlines ... or Cathay Pacific

It is an outrageous law that has no conceivable safety basis whatsoever, and is costing UK / European wannabes millions and millions of unnecessary pounds a year in extortionately high sim charges

If I thought there was one single solitary MP that gave a rats ass about wannabe pilots, I would be writing to them right now

Come to think of it, is there not some government department that deals with enforcing the laws of monopolies and protectionism, and can they investigate other government departments? Who was it that enacted the law change with regard to BT, so they could no longer have a monopoly on the price of telephone lines? Can we get them to investigate the legality of this situation?