PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA Airlink to be dumped by SAA
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2005, 18:24
BAKELA
Registered User *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few thoughts.

From what I heard today, immediate plan for Link is not to go low-cost, although it was said that they operated an F28 on Lanseria-Cape Town for the first time today (no capacity restriction?). Don't know about the F28 as I saw a DC9/MD80/2 on approach into Lanseria at last light tonight.

If you look at the Voyager programme and the flights Link does currently, I do believe that in whatever form Link continues, there may just be a codeshare with SAA of some sorts. Lets not forget that scheduled flying to smaller places is a killer if you don't do the right things.
The same does not apply to the other feeder carrier, SA Express, which is wholly owned by SAA parent Transnet
Now that's what I call uncompetitive, but then, without Transnet/SAA, SAX would have been dead meat when the Canadians left.
It must be really embarresing for the SAA management, that Link always makes a profit
You have your facts backwards: SAA is actually very operationally profitable
2BSS, this possibly proves why you comment like you do...Symbol is quite correct in talking about "profit" - the bottom line on the balance sheet - not "operational profit". Won't go into it any further as enough has been said about SAA's "opertional profit" before. One question though, where's SAA's bucks then? Is SARS still collecting SAA's profit?
And exactly why would SA Airlink be dumping SAA?? What would they have to gain by that?
To get rid of service delivery that sucks to the "n"th degree?

Exhaust Manifold,
Link's been looking for a way to free itself from SAA for a long time.
Whoever you are or whoever you know within Link, this was right on the head, BIG TIME.

2BSS,
Anyway, they are not interested in foreign black pilots
The SAAF also sang this song until they decided to "import" Mugaboons to instruct (help us!) because some "young instructors" needed operational time at squadron level.
They are barely interested in anyone that isn't a Xhosa. Take a look and see if you can find a black VP or EVP of the last three years that was anything other than a Xhosa.
Just remember, Sht flows down, stick around long enough and, like Symbol said,
You guys(I presume you fly for Airways!) are going to be in for a serious wake up call!
2BSS, in fact, your last post makes me wonder why any non-Xhosa (or non-Irishman - sexism as well then at SAA) would bother about SAA. Suppose the new pax weighing is also to get into line with average Xhosa (or Irish) weights then? Passenger profiling?