PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The worst job possible?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2005, 08:05
Bravo73

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
h-r - NB can't be that weathy John, if he's only got a 206... My thoughts exactly!

Brassed Off - fair enough to see it from the other side, I guess. But what you say throws up a whole 'nother bag of worms. I am very aware of the legality of the situation and the fact that it is a 'private' rather than 'commercial' operation but should a PPL really be doing this job? And getting paid for it? ie getting paid to fly? (whatever the pay slip might say about being a Personal Slave, ooops, I mean Assistant...)

After four years I had over 1300hrs Is that all? In any other flying job, you'd be looking at nearer 2000-2500hrs. I imagine for the same period in Aberdeen, you would've flown nearly 3200hrs. That's a lot of spare time to be a skivvy.

Surely it is worth doing a few dirty jobs to gain those valuable turbine hours. Really? But where do you draw the line? Presuming that you're still on your PPL and he wants to take a few of his mates and business associates (ie 20) with him to Aintree. So you ferry them all in from a nearby hotel. Is that right? And, yes, I know that at best it's a 'grey area' legally but ethically? (Now I'm not saying for a second that this actually happened but I'm sure you know where I'm coming from...)

Paid to fly is the best way to fly even if you do have to take the flak. Paid to fly? On a PPL? Are you really saying that PPLs should go for this job?

in all weather, day and night. In a VFR Jetranger???? With 'only' a PPL? And probably very low time to boot? Now, once again, I am aware of the legality of the situation but are you saying that you'd recommend this job to a friend or family member? I know that I wouldn't.

I don't mean to come across as antigonistic so please don't take it the wrong way but I really feel that these things can't be left un-said (and it's all of course IMHO).

Regards,

B73

PS Oh, TheFlyingSquirrel, I didn't link directly to the ad (or mention any contact details) because I only just wanted to bring it up as a 'discussion point'. I didn't really actually want the word to spread about this job. Are you sure that you do?