PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM or BAD CRM or no CRM?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2005, 03:12
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willit Run,

I entirely agree with you, and would even go further to say that, however undesirable and unsafe the learning environment may be, in some respects, there is possibly MORE to be learned from a "Bad" captain than a "Good" captain. May I be permitted to re-quote my own words from another post on another forum (I'm allowed to plagiarise my own words aren't I?)

To the very few "Bad Apple" captains (call them Idiots if you want) that I flew with as an F/O, I heartily thank you. I learned from you first hand how a safe operation can go to crud when you break off from disciplined procedures and did your own thing. From you I learned most of all, I learned the consequences of undisciplined behaviour, I learned WHAT NOT to do, the most valuable lesson of all.
It's not a learning process that I would recommend, but, having been there (against your wishes) and done it, there is a great deal to be learned from it.

At the end of the day, your decision to report or not report the individual must come from your own assessment of whether his actions were actually unsafe (which it seems they were), or outside the parameters of Standard Operating Procedures but still within the limits of safety.

Good Luck,

Old Smokey