PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to do if your Captain is drunk?
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2005, 12:34
nojh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alcohol Night stops and aircraft operation.

An interesting subject,

Are we trying to reinvent the wheel,and ban alcohol, consumption from aviation.

First, is taxiying after landing classed as flying?

Or is take off en route and landing flying .

The point I make is that the World"s Favourite Airline condoned after landing drinks and when their pilots were on contract to other carriers continued the habit.

These cockpit drinks were delivered to the cockpit by the Cso or the purser when he/she declared cockpit secure for landing,
After landing checks completed clear of the runway the occupants not busy with nosewheel steering had a drink usually champagne and orange juice,or what ever else you wanted regardless of amount,three minatures was fairly standard,plus mixers.

On stand engines off apu on Pax disembarking, still sipping your drink fags lit in the ashtrays, handling agent and base eng on board got a drink as well,plus there was usually a carrier bag full left on the seat for other colleagues.

Were we drinking and flying?
Or were we drinking and operating an A/C?
Caa flt Ops inspectors did not only know about it,but enthusiastically took part, when they were operating crew.

Air France air crews were allowed a bottle of wine with their meal whilst airborne,perfectly legal,so there!

I dont recall any accidents or incidents caused by this gentlemanly behaviour!

Question are you a pilot do you have night stops, and do you drink at the bar with the rest of the crew ?

Do you then have dinner and some wine ?

Do you maybe have a wee one from the mini bar, to help you sleep or to party whatever.

How do you then know if you will be under the limit for tomorrows operation?

Horror of all horrors phone wrings ,Ops ,flight is now rescheduled and you are now reporting three hours earllier than original rostered

Now you are buggered with a fish fork, "but but but I didnt mean to drink and fly,"and whats more the whole crew are affected.

The 12 hour rule has gone you are rescheduled.

So Sanctimonius Shed Driver, you are now going to rip our licences into a million pieces are you.

Beware of rescheduling it wiil catch you out, it certainly caught me out.

So either dont drink at all, in the hotel or if at home get that bloody phone onplugged from the wall socket bloody.

I dont condone getting legless before a flight,but you can get caught out.

TOODLE PIP for know.

Ps Ive got nothing with model helicopter pilots,I keep crashing my Ripmax Robbie.