PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic A340-600 fuel incident
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2005, 09:27
nojh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Haul is not safe

Excessive fatigue on long haul is a potential killer and is continually ignored by the airline bosses the Caa and the greedy accountants and shareholders.

Short of fuel;you are always short of fuel,the ground bound bean counters wont even let you take Sword fuel ie (flt plan fuel),it costs fuel to carry fuel,

Always the same "Mantra",search for a new Flt level try to find stronger tailwinds or less strong headwinds they will send you off 3 tons light on your fuel reqd fig, if the flt is a success you get "I told you ,you could make it",not thanks a lot for increasing the profits. If the flt is a failure and you have to divert or land with fuel starved engines then it's your fault and you may not fly again.

Remember Concorde /LHR so short of fuel that the Sf/o and the Flt/eng disassociated themselves from the landing, and as far as I remember the Cpt was boss pilot of the fleet .He was trying to make a point.He certainly did that,I think he flew a desk after that.

Remember the Luton based B757/737 carrier who used to dock money off the Cpt's wages if they carried too much fuel?

Long Haul; Excessive fatigue, short on fuel and multiple sneezzes, and diseases contracted from the pax not to mention
Solar radiation and Dvt risk to air crew.

It's a criminal disgrace that it should be allowed,thats why I got out.

Bloody dangerous have nothing to do with it.

Remember the drival, from the Caa Atpl Flt planning exam for the Uk licence,and the final fuel fig nauseating wasn"t it and a complete waste of time and effort. in reality managers in the real world would deduct at least 3 tons.

Remember the Human performance and limitations waffle of an exam ref fatigue. More waffle which was never been put into practise by our World Leading reglatory body at the Belgrano.

long haul crews are permanently tired not just tired completely knackered.

I firmly beleave that long haul cuts your life expectancy considerably