PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speed Cameras
Thread: Speed Cameras
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2005, 11:42
Stax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed Cameras!

Just picked up again as I have been away.

SO! We all agree to the "Raise the speed limit's on motorways/More cameras in built up areas/Parents chain up your children/More coppers to differentiate between good and bad drivers/Cameras just raise money for Blair and Brown" etc. Fine, we are more or less in agreement, however...........
1995, Winter, A1, Sunday night @2135 (ish) conditions a bit iffy (wet, cold etc) I am in my little 1.3 Mazda driving fairly sensibly due to age of car, size of engine, wet conditions. As I am passing a clapped out Mini, suddenly in my rear view there is a set of flashing head lights of the "Get out of my F**king way you pleb" I pull over and a (Dark Blue/Black) Astra goes by me at a great rate of knots. I didn't have a speed camera with me so I can't say exactly how fast, however he had not been behind me when I signalled to overtake. Several miles up the road I see a blue light flashing, slow down, move to the side of the road and there, embedded into the back wheels of an artic (which was crossing the southbound to get on the northbound lane) is the remains of the Astra. So no worries, he didn't kill a child, or trash a sports car, or get a fine and points, but he did kill himself, stop traffic, cause an investigation, probably put a lorry driver into counselling and tie up those coppers who could have been investigating real crimes! Bottom line gents, if you don't give a "fork" about other road users, at least be selfish and give a "fork" about yourself, that includes our super heros of the FJ world who are so much better than the people who dress them, fasten them in, service the jet, get them their kit, pick them up when they crash, fix them when they are broken, defend them on the ground and generally just feel so priveliged that these knights of the air deem to notice us! (enough sarcasm in that?)