PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GO diverts from STN - Shock Horror!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2002, 04:26
Devils Advocate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Angry, as I'm sure you know ( being a Training Captain "Quick ! All kneel and pay homage to the deity" ), some airlines believe that it's much better to be cautious and have pilots fly-the-line for a while and thereby get used to things - e.g. the aircraft type, SOP's, operational environments, etc, prior to dropping them in the deep end of Cat III approaches - and until such time their minima is set higher, i.e. the normal Cat 1 or II, and which is still pretty low.. .. .Further, as a trainer, you'll appreciate the value of having your crews turning up for the sim being more, how shall I say, 'on the ball' (aka experienced) certainly so when it comes to examining the finer points of systems failures inside the OM and / or its equivalent point (you know what I mean) in that such a crew will be much better able to assimilate the training, and this must surely therefore be taken to be of a higher value than the same training being imparted to a rookie pilot fresh out of both Oxford and a jet type conversion course.. .. .Accordingly such a stance can therefore hardly be viewed as penny pinching, indeed it might be seen in the reverse in that one might say that rushing ones newly recruited / type-rated crews into low visibility (aka All Weather) Ops is a recipe for disaster ...... almost a case of commercial pressures dictating the policy of the training department ?!. .. .There again, maybe it's simply a case that B737 simulator is just not available / bookable when one wants it - which, as a trainer, I'm sure that you'll be very aware of.. .. .Uhm, so which airline is it you work for then ?. . . . <small>[ 23 March 2002, 01:15: Message edited by: Devils Advocate ]</small>