PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GO diverts from STN - Shock Horror!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2002, 04:16
chrishowley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Useful info Angry - thanks.. .. .As an outsider I may be out of place to make the following comments but hope they will usefully add to the debate. . .. .While I am sure that we all here are agreed (and have demonstrated it on numerous occassions) that this kind of journalism is nothing short of appalling, I think there is a lesson to be learnt. It continues to surprise me how nervous and uninformed about the great mysteries of flying passengers can be. Stories such as FO's being asked by passengers if they hope to learn to fly one day and the frequently held belief that I hear, that planes cannot fly and will immediately drop out of the sky if there is an engine failure (as it is quite obvious that engines produce all the lift and wings do not!) confirm this problem. I also suspect that professional pilots now behind locked doors with less passenger contact than before will find it increasingly difficult to remind themselves of these huge misperceptions. I suspect that there are a great number of people for whom flying is a rare a novel occurance.. .. .Because of this the words used to communicate with passengers have to be chosen carefully (in some cases ridiculously so!). However get it right and I believe it can do wonders for the industry. My only example of this (which I mentioned once before) is the practice I sometimes hear on BMI of Captains announcing that the F/O 'will be flying us to .... today'. I wonder how many more misconceptions about flying passengers have and how many of you have creat3ed announcements to overcome these - which could usefully be shared here? . .. .scanscanscan - sorry but I feel your comments to 3 greens are unhelpful - your question is irrelevant as he was usefully contributing to the thread - if you disagree with his views then I suggest you explain to him why. Also before you attack me, I am also a management consultant and will be forever envious of your career and also grateful to PPRUNE for contributing to my learning and enjoyment of aviation.