PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GO diverts from STN - Shock Horror!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2002, 23:56
Puritan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hey, go easy on d3g, I know where he's coming from and imho he makes a very valid point, i.e. if you're not legal to do it then that's good enough reason not to do it.. .. .Perhaps the real problem is that through the professionalism and skill of all involved (pilots / air traffic controllers / aircraft manufacturers ), we've managed to make something that's bloody difficult (read dangerous) look mundane - and neither the travelling public or jouno's have any comprehension of what's involved.. .. .E.g. Assuming that it all goes to plan, i.e. no systems failures on along the way, we're talking about flying an airliner, full of priceless lives, toward the ground at a forward speed of about 150 MPH, with a forward visibility of 200m (Cat IIIA) or less ( for Cat IIIB ; and zero for Cat IIIC ), then landing on the runway, slowing down without coming off of it, finding an exit, and taxiing to the stand - just try some of that in your car on an empty M1 on a very foggy morning !. .. .However, and unfortunately, we live in a world where "Airliner Captain sticks to the rules and diverts causing pax a modest three hour delay (rather than an early arrival in to the next world)" does not the headlines grab.