PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L1011 MCC Bournemouth
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2005, 09:44
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The point of being placed in an unfamiliar simulator in your job interview is that your basic flying skills and your ability to absorb new information can be assessed. There is nothing wrong with having a bit of practise beforehand if you can afford it, though I would guess that the airline might disagree! However, we are talking about the relevance of an airliner simulator - and its associated costs - to MCC.

MCC is not a period of instruction in how to fly an airliner. It is a period of instruction in how to work together with someone you don't know in relatively high-stress situations, using basic (but representative) Standard Operating Procedures. To achieve this, it is helpful to have a believable environment, but it is not necessary for that to be representative of any particular type of aeroplane. A generic simulator (such as the FNPT2) is quite adequate, and considerably cheaper to run. This should be reflected in the costs of the course.

As I said earlier, the most important element of the MCC course is the quality of instruction, and I'm delighted to hear that BCFT's MCC is well regarded by those who have used it. However, that is quite independent of the device the instruction is given in. Do not choose your MCC provider on the basis of the simulator they offer.

If you wish to experience an airliner simulator with the intent of getting some practise prior to an airline assessment, I would suggest that you approach that as a separate issue.

Scroggs