PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 22nd Apr 2005, 05:02
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
yes, though a lot of those guys in Oz and New Zealand could probably be found in Canada, where there is also a shortage - or rather, there are enough pilots there, but they mostly have 100 hours and the "consultants" are not allowing them to fly, so the shortage is actually for pilots over 1000 hours.

From what I hear, though I have no personal experience, the US is getting that way too.

In UK/Europe, the problem is finding good corporate pilots who can keep a customer entertained in a wet field for a couple of hours just having the numbers is not good enough.

My own estimate is that it will seriously begin to bite over the next 5 years, so you've got a bit of time to get in there.

My concern is that, as I keep saying in Vertical, unless we senior people start passing our knowledge on, the same old accidents are going to happen all over again, although it is fair to say that the young whippersnappers are gaining experience in a far better safety culture.

Phil