PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Branson flies in to discuss new Intl airline
Old 22nd Apr 2005, 02:00
AnQrKa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gnadenburg, You said.

“May I also suggest that a low cost pilot, flying 900hrs a year until 65 to fund retirement, heading for a graveyard a bit quicker than a soundly set up pilot from from a major carrier. Anecdotal evidence suggests that when you pay for an endorsement, management generally treads on you in conditions of service aswell- I doubt if low cost pilots in Oz have life extending, lifestyle positions.”

Your argument is idealistic but not based in reality. Most, if not all people, would choose a higher paid position with other factors being equal if given the chance. But not everyone is in a position to choose. I know of many qualified pilots with Airbus ratings that have not been offered employment by Dragonair, or do not want to relocate overseas and have missed out on the obtuse selection process at Qantas.

But, they are now in the LHS of a Jetstar 320 or VB 737 making 2-3 times the average wage. And many are very happy.

Do they want to be paid more, probably? Who doesn’t? But the only major carrier in town is no longer the shining light on the hill it once may have been.

WRT paying for an endorsement – I have never paid for an airline endorsement but I have just as much anecdotal evidence and some clear cut personal experience of where carriers that have funded endorsement training have still trodden on conditions of service. Just because an airline type rates you for free does not mean they care about you.