PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L1011 MCC Bournemouth
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2005, 23:57
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I work for one of the companies in question (and my colleague won't be able to get in the sim with the big head he's going to get from these comments!) I am reluctant to step in, but I feel as someone who chose to use a jet simulator for my own MCC I must correct a misconception Scroggs seems to be under.

For the majority of people who take an MCC the next trip they have on a jet simulator will not be on company training. For most it will be a simulator check ride to get a job! Therefore the handling skills one learns in a decent simulator, while being as restricted as Scroggs says, are valuable in that they are better than nothing. I certainly have had a massive confidence boost, knowing I an actually land a wide-bodied jet, assymetric, hand flying from raw data!

I agree entirely that the intention was that this be part of type-rating training, unfortunately the legislation was not worded that way, and the situation that has developed is inevitable. It is not, however, the fault of the schools, but is a combination of recently-graduated pilots' one-up-manship and airlines paring things to a minimum of cost.