PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One more day: Irish govt due to make its PSO decisions?(Merged)
Old 21st Apr 2005, 20:00
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Certainly, there is that risk, Tom. I remember, about 12 years ago, when Maire Geoghegan Quinn was in Transport and said that her decision on the stopover was due "in a matter of weeks"!

However, I think the situation is different now; there's a much greater awareness of the importance of this and I think Cullen recognises as much. The pressure will increase and I would argue that the delay will only serve to increase pressure on the government, because there will be a greater recognition of a well thought out, future focused policy.

Interestingly, this evening, Mary Harney and the Tainiste crossed swords over this; Harney is insisting, quite rightly, on competition whereas Cullen has indicated that the DAA will get to run the terminal. I sincerely hope the PDs will insist on competition; it was part of the program of government and it should be honoured. Indeed, the Tainiste hinted that she would be raising the issue with the Taoiseach.

On the plus side, however, Cullen hinted very clearly that there will be increased US access.