PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airmanship
Thread: Airmanship
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2005, 09:40
Scrubbed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I did, J........

As for a definition of "long"...

I'm not sure if it is an official term but, as previously mentioned, a "long landing" is generally held to be when you shift your aim-point or carry power through the flare to touch down beyond the touchdown-zone.

Normally this is requested for reasons of, for EXAMPLE, reducing taxi-time because the desired exit is at the other end of a very long runway. I have only heard of pistons and turbo-props making such a request and only ever in cavok, dry weather.

As for this incident, I suspect (since as J pointed out we weren't there) that it was not a "LONG" landing but a landing which probably was intended to take place in the touchdown zone, as usual for jets (especially on wet runway and with high traffic density) but which went wrong... ie lengthy float due high threshold speed or incorect aimpoint. ie unstabilised approach.

There, was that so hard???

No, we're not all perfect. I've done it myself and there's a simple answer which is generally referred to as a "go-around". AIRMANSHIP also demands this be solution be carried out.

Either you do it or, as we saw here, the guy behind might have to.

The facts, to a large extent, speak for themselves.