PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Holders Vs Available Jobs
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2005, 11:04
jamestkirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jobs Vs Licence holders

Really interesting thread.

I too am in the same position. Qualified last August. No job. No sign of hope. But, half way through an FI course. I recommend Goodwodd Flying School, very professional.

I sincerely hope that what some of you are saying is true. The amount of rumours that the market is picking up is encouraging. Although, when you hear of 1000,1200 or 1500! applications for jobs, it's difficult to remain optimistic.

The fact that we are all still trying to land that job with the amount of bad press out there and not given up, is a credit to us all.

I do however find it amusing that we are in one of the worst industries to find work in (probably with the exceptioon of acting) and can laugh about it.

Has anyone experienced the following:

1. Sitting in a pub telling people you have sent x 100 number of CVs and get no/little response apart from Please F*uck Off letters - then laugh about it while your drinking companion sits there is disbelief.

2. Sitting in a bar (well we are the 3rd highest drinkers) telling people that you called a training captain and he said to you "how many hours?, How old?, NO CHANCE" - then laugh about it while your drinking companion sits there is disbelief.

3. Sitting in a trendy cafe (probably having a Gin and Tonic) telling people that you are a trained professional pilot but currently work in a call centre for £5.85ph. Or even worse, teach people to fly for £12 ph flying. - then laugh about it while your drinking companion sits there is disbelief

4. Or just run into people that have not seen you for a while because you have been training and say, "you've put on weight".
You-re thinking "up yours scary face", but say "have i".

It just goes to show that being a pilot is not all sex, fast cars, all year tans and rock and roll.