PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to do if your Captain is drunk?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2005, 07:27
Gorgophone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK Captain Stable
---------------------------------------------
“I suspect that this is down to the unions - BALPA, IFALPA, IALPA, VNV etc.”
-----------------------------------------------

BALPA are, surprisingly, not interested in pursuing this one! Perhaps they feel that the Flight Time Limitations campaign is enough. I don’t think so. Come on BALPA pull your socks up!

------------------------
“The problem with that is that it will be painted in the press by everyone (specifically the more right-wing press, but also pointed that way by the employers) as overpaid, molly-coddled prima donna pilots wanting to work less for more pay.”
-----------------------------------

So what you are saying is that pilots should embark on a public relations task? Let ppruners publish on this website, from personal knowledge, any deaths in service – of pilots, from whatever cause. Then there will be ammunition with which to counter the criticisms you rightly point out.

Also what has appeared in the press. For instance, FAA Harassed Pilot of Fatal CJ Crash (www.flyingmag.com) Missouri pilot Joseph BRINELL harassed by the FAA…who had “abused their authority” (see Aftermath, November 2001) His worries cause lack of sleep and is quoted by his widow as being a cause of the crash.

And perhaps you can get maxalt who posted 6th April 2005 22:02 to tell us what he was talking about – give us the references for the four Cardiac arrests to which he referred.

Remember that a ‘death a work’ does not mean that the event happened in the work setting; it could also happen at home but have causal links.

I don’t mean to be morbid but if your reasoning is correct, then this is the answer.

Anyway, I thought safety was meant to be considered proactively, not after some devastating event?