PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Meeting On 18th
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2005, 19:34
ac100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen,

I admire the cohesive tones of everyones post above, but the problem that the pilot group is facing is one that words on pprune alone will not solve.

Aviation companies are run by non aviation educated management and therefore will never understand cost management at any level. Their careers are based on one simple rule the bottom line. This figure that they try to obtain is a short term economic figure that justifies there positions and onward career growth. This point can be justified by the fact that EK decide to remove crew rest areas on the B777-300ER at a cost of 2 Million dollars per aircraft, as these areas were included in the general specs of the aircraft and not an option. Having looked at the numbers for the aircraft, the crew rest areas will have to be refitted if the company would like to make the aircraft a profitable one.

As mentioned in above posts, their career path will, relatively speaking, have them at any company for a short period of time as compared to the pilots, whom strive to build a career at a major airline.

The only people that you can look towards to protect your interests are FLT OPS management and we all know that once that line has been crossed they become self serving. TCAS and those that proceeded him have come/came because it suited their personal plan. Their loyalities, or lack of, have clearly been viewed by the lack of improvements to working conditions, terms & conditions and overall appreciation by the company.

Emirates was at a cross roads 2 1/2 years ago when they placed the immense order of aircrafts. they had the choice of being a world class carrier or following the path that could lead them to ruin. Unfortunately, we are now seeing the fruits of the managements choices. If the present bleeding in staff resignations continues, coupled with the lack of new arrivals in FLT OPS aircrafts will be parked very soon. Flights have been cancelled recently due to insufficient crews.

The problem at the company are vast and no matter how the accounts and managers try to conceal the damage by cutting costs, the effects will be felt.

We do not have a voice within the company, we serve a purpose and the value of are expertise is taken for granted. There are a couple of solutions that can resolve the current problems we have as a pilot group and they are as follows:

1. Vote with you feet and do not look back. there are amounst us people who cry a river but are waiting for everyone else to leave in order for things to improve. Once again, self serving individuals who do not have anyones interest at heart except there own.

2. As a united group have the courage to write to the Chairman and explain the path the company is taking due to the people running his airline. the would include TC and the rest below him. If anyone here believes that upper management is not aware of the current crisis, you would be wrong! they choose to ignore the issues as we are a expendable commodity in their eyes.

Unfortunately, option one is the most viable as we are the only professionals in the world who would stab a friend to get ahead. that is MHO, as i have witnessed it in every avaition position in my career. We are ruthless with each other and airline management take advantage of that fact.

I could continue to write but my point would become diluted.

The national pilots have their aspirations and we as expats have ours. there will never be a day when those interests will meet as one. I say to those of you who voice your opinions on pprune, to concentrate your efforts on being more constructive with your anger. Form a piots association, NOT A UNION, which would allow you to voice the concerns of the pilot group to upper management. Not TC, but the Chairman himself or Mr. Flanagan. they are the only two people who can objectively deal with your concerns as their interests are with the development of the airline.

I believe it is possible and may solve some of your problems far quicker than the normal channels. Use the resources at hand and see that your future is secured. I am no longer in the environment as i felt it best to vacate while i still had fond memories of the place.

I have many thoughts but cannot subject you to them, however i wish you all the best for the future, no matter where that might be.

AC100

Last edited by ac100; 15th Apr 2005 at 19:47.