PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expidite through which level?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2005, 09:46
Cartman's Twin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Folks.

Agree with the initial posters - when I say expedite through FLXXX, that's the 'safe' level. I'm not suggesting it was unsafe beforehand but certainly within TC that's the level you have to pass before we can point you in the direction you actaully want to fly in!

I most disagree most vehemently that it is 'poor' technique. Absolute rubbish. Within the London TMA if you didn't utilise the a/c abilities, and the pilot's of course, NOTHING would move. Occasional, and appropriate use of expedite helps ALL concerned. Bad technique? - Not in my considered.....

I would never put it as a request either. Puts variables into the instruction, if the pilot is unable to expediate - eg an A343 (I love you really guys.....) then firstly I wouldn't have asked at all, but I'd expect the pilot to say if they couldn't.

Referring to precise phraseology. Although the CAP phrase is 'expediate until passing', I'd say 90+% of controllers I work with say "expediate through". I find this causes far fewer misunderstandings with foreign pilots, and saves 2 seconds per pair of instruction. Multiply that by the 40 departures per hour and I've even got time for me crossword!!!!!

Safe day to you all - I'm going to lay in the sun!!

Last edited by Cartman's Twin; 15th Apr 2005 at 16:29.