PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nystagmus During Aerobatics
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2005, 23:09
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Thank you all for your posts. I welcome your concerns for my health and safety. I was hoping to obtain some advice from anyone who has actually expereinced this phenomenon because I need to determine exactly what is causing the problem and fix it if possible if I wish to continue doing aerobatics.

While I concur with the idea of writing your own hypothetical accident report, I have not properly explained the actual facts surrounding this event.

I am quite familiar with the "I'm safe" formula and I've postponed a few flights before on the basis of this mantra.

Without boring you with the excruciating details of my health, I'd like to explain that I was not suffering the after affects of a cold. That finished the week before, but I was finishing a course of antibiotics to ensure I didn't cop a secondary infection.

The reason I mentioned antibiotics was to see if anyone else has reported vertigo, dizziness etc. in flight as a result of antibiotic injestion. The data sheet of the product concerned does mention the possibility but qualifies it with the word "rarely".

As for dehydration, yes, I was dehydrated, but not directly from a few glasses of wine the night before, but rather from failing to drink enough water the night before and the morning after. I've also since learned that Coca Cola is a diuretic, so my actual attempts at rehydration with this fluid actually made the situation worse. As for a hangover, definitely not, there is no way I would drive, let alone fly aerobatics or normal manouevres, if I had a hangover anyway.

I will continue the experiment next week, with no alcohol for 48 hours at least, attention to rest and hydration, no antibiotics and see if the nystygamus still appears when I do an aileron roll.

If it doesn't, then I have graphically demonstrated the fitness requirements required for aerobatics. If it still appears then I guess I just have to put up with it although there is some indication that you can be trained to overcome it.

I'll get "The Killing Zone" as soon as I can. As for an inability to face facts, bad attitude etc. I respectfully suggest I would not be exploring this matter on an internet forum if I felt I was invulnerable, in fact the situation is quite the reverse.

Last edited by Sunfish; 14th Apr 2005 at 23:24.