PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe's Fleet Replacement Collapsed Again
Old 12th Apr 2005, 21:18
Irish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOR

even the one with "pilot" experience, whatever that is.
OK, I'll bite,. I detected more than a little cynicism in that comment, which I didn't appreciate too much. The only reason I'm not flying professionally is because the Gulf wars happened at times that messed up plans and cash flow big time, and a subsequent encounter with Big C has also made things a little more complicated.

We may have met, I used to work for SA at DUB, as a lead agent, until the management decided they didn't like the way I dealt with an air ambulance Seneca flight

Flight experience.

SE/ME CPL/IR, and ATPL exams completed when they were done the hard way, as writtens, not multi choice.

500 Logged hours, mostly ME Single Crew IFR around Europe. A lot more time that I can't log in a generic MD83 simulator, and about 250 Hrs in a "generic" A320 style simulator that I helped build and programme that is used by British Aerospace as a research tool for flight deck research, the most recent being secondary systems work. I've also built other sim systems that have been used for things like MCC training back when it was a new and different thing that had to be done in a hurry as a result of the Kegworth 737 crash.

"Real" Simulators, if that's not a contradiction in terms, Citations, Lears, BAC1-11, 737-200, 737-300, 747-200, 747-400, 757, 767, 777, L1011, DC10-30, A320, Concorde, all legally logged as training with instructors.

I'm slightly confused now, this thread is degenerating into a pretty nasty slanging match between various parties within FlyBE, which is slightly worrying.

I could make comments like the 400 is quieter, it's a lot quieter than some of the other TP's mentioned. It's no less "fragile" than things like the SAAB 2000, or the ATR 72, both of which have their moments.

I've handled F27's as a ramper, and while it might well be a nice aircraft to fly, it's a pig on the ground, especially on a dark cold wet slippery ramp trying to pass the nose wheel clamp back in to the flight deck!!!

I could say a lot more, but I won't, other than to agree with several others that the replacement for the 146 is not going to be easy to find, the newer types don't have the versatility and flexibility that the 146/RJ has, and for sure they won't have the build quality.

Anyway, in closing, whatever FlyBE does, I hope it works, I for one want to see them continue to grow in the way they have over the last 18 months.

Cheers

Steve