PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing a Boeing 757
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2005, 18:46
Jetstream Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can land left wing down - sometimes dropping one gear first helps in a crosswind, but not really. Better to get both sides down at the same time - it feels better and makes no perceptible difference with the speedbrakes. If you land exceptionally smoothly, sometimes the only indication you are on the ground is the speedbrakes coming out. Haven't done that too often though!

I find landing a 75 as described above works well, but now I use the radio callout as a guide and judge it all by visual picture. A number of times the 75 has shouted "50" at me when we have been at about 70 feet, if you trust it you end up messing up a nice approach.

In a cross wind with proper coordination of controls you will land pointing in the right direction and with both sides together. If you have any drift on, the aircraft will shake just after touchdown which can be uncomfortable. If you have it lined up exactly with the runway, this does not happen. Insufficient aileron on a crosswind landing will mean one side touches first, but if you put enough in, that won't happen.