PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help-air atlantique sponsorship vs OAT (merged)
Old 12th Apr 2005, 17:23
sk4644

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick,

I agree with funkie, get the class one and then do your PPL and apply to any sponsorship schemes you can-don't forget the GAPAN JN Somers award, in fact you may have time to get your application in for a PPL schol this year with them.

I think your comments about modular trained pilots may incite a few people. Regardless of what the likes of Oxford say to you, at the end of the day you will get the same licence whichever route you follow. In fact, you will probably learn so much more by organising your own training than you will by being spoon fed through an integrated course. There are many modular schools out there which offer the same package as integrated for a fraction of the cost and if you plan your training properly there is no reason not to have a report tracing your entire training progress.

I know a number of Oxford app guys and what amazes me is that some of these people have stumped up huge amounts of money to become pilots having never flown or been in a light aircraft. To me, this speaks volumes about their dedication and knowledge and I believe they are far less likely to read up on all subjects aviation.

There CAN also be a certain amount of ignorance from some of these integrated guys-they do not tend to look outside the box as the training is all there in front of them, they do not get the experience and independence that others do, like those who have to hour build and take complete responsibility of their flight.

The feeling I get from your post is that you are slightly spouting what Oxford have told you-I think you should go out there, visit lots of modular and integrated schools and see what they have to say. Don't get tunnel visioned, people are appearing to get jobs but remember that no school can promise you one in the end.

Good luck!