PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Holders Vs Available Jobs
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2005, 17:19
Sparticus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im always amazed by how many new guys are coming into the industry. I would guess that its much easier to finance a cpl with either the bank or remortgage than it was 10 years ago.

I have to say when I gave up a good job to become a flying instructor I decided it was something I had to do. I didnt want to spend my life wondering what could have been and wanted to live my dream.

I now fly a medium short haul jet. Last week alone I did 55hrs duty. Im broke, constantly tired, fed up of having no hobbies, no weekends, cant go to weddings, funerals or even the dentist. Having moved twice allready with this company its likely the company is going to move me once again. Its hard for my wife, kids and myself. Its difficult to put any roots down and I even avoid buying large items of furniture so its easier to move house. Pretty soon the company is will have to start putting prozac in our coffee!

I have been trying to get a new job but even with a good few thousand jet hours no success yet. There are many downsides to being a pilot and if you have a reasonable job allready it may take many years to make all the money back. Been flying commercially for seven years but if I could find the right opportunity would leave tomorrow.

Its not a career to take lightly.