PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2005, 16:22
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
212man,

Unpleasant topic for sure....but why was the change made...and why was it reversed? Why prior to the change did the aircraft perform reliably over the years and does so again after reverting to the original system? How may overtorques and resulting component changes occurred as a result of altering the original system? It was only Eket that had the change as I recall...and not the other operations...but then the other operations had the old dogs flying and not so many young North Sea guys in general as I recall. Mind you I am not criticizing the young guys...they were excellent in certain aspects of their flying but limited power techinques were something they had to learn.

How many aircraft crashed or were damaged due to loss of rotor rpm prior to the mod....none as I recall? This is the kind of management decision that MBA Advanced degrees should be written about...cost and effect, Law of Unintended Consequences...all that kind of thing.

It would be enlightening to know the "real" story behind that decision...having been the victim of it. Knock on wood I never rang the bell as some did down there....but it was only mere luck that saved me on occasions.