PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2005, 15:19
212man

Received 347 Likes on 195 Posts
SASless says:

"Bell's torgue management system on the 212 wasn't good enough for them....seems too many instances of 212's bleeding Nr during landings and some hard landings were being experienced....rather than admit the young North Sea boys that were being posted to gain command time were not able to adjust to the limited power of the 212 as compared to the Tiger "

You're right of course, SASless; it's a brilliant system; why wreck an MGB when you can trash the airframe and its occupants instead? I realise governor damping in hydromechanical AFCUs is an issue, but other manufacturers of the era seem to have coped (on types you have experience on.)

I think you'll find your description of why it was removed is not quite true, but I'll refrain from expanding as it's not a very pleasant subject.

I also think you'll find there is a very experienced test pilot who frequents this forum, who has had adverse experiences and less than favourable opinions with the system in the military.

Going back to the thread though, as JimL says; why did the pressure drop with a single pump failure, or is one merely a standby/back up pump to the main and therefore produces less pressure?

Last edited by 212man; 11th Apr 2005 at 15:38.