PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2005, 10:31
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokunbo,

I really haven't slogged much, I think. If I am not mistaken, I have tried to post the facts, against the inuendos from heli-whatshisname.

The facts as they are, and continue to be, in spite of heli-whatshisname, were posted long ago in this thread:

The S-92 transmission has a dual, independant pump system, one shaft lost drive because it wore prematurely. The box had pressure on landing. The crew did as they should. There is an excellent team working to identify the cause of the premature wear, and recommend fixes.

The spline system used on the 92 is similar to that used on many pumps and generator drives, the plastic prevents spline damage from contaminating the box.

I now believe that helicomparitor is a senior Bristow Captain who has thrown his lot in with the 225, and seeks every opportunity to show how right he was to back that old, grandfathered design. He thrills to the 225's lesser payload, lesser range, much smaller cabin, older safety standards, higher purchase price, greater expense to operate, but precisely his cup of tea. Of course, he will now post about 250 lines, painfully recording every prejudiced thought for the pprune world!