PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Security
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2005, 21:15
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Snoop

What helps make it an easy experience is to wear newer (Rockport) uniform shoes which have no metal-they are not attractive, but so what. As I walk up to the security ckeckpoint I stick my expensive hotel room ballpoint pen and cellphone in the 'smaller' pocket at the top of my suitcase. The same for change from one's pants pockets. All we need to do then, is fold our uniform coat in half and put it in the plastic container+ throw flight bag and suitcase up there. The x-ray is triggered by the total amount of metal. It never beeps when I go through. Just by knowing what metallic objects are on you and in one continuous motion putting most stuff in your own suitcase pocket takes care of most of the frustration. It only takes five seconds to stick it in there and zip the pocket closed. Or stick it in your uniform coat pocket if the coat goes on the conveyer belt. Luckily, we leave our coats home during the hot summer. Unlike the widebody crews, we are the sweaty workhorses of our company.

To help avoid losing the airline ident. card, maybe you can buy a long, thin red strap and it still hangs around your neck-even if the clip is knocked loose. It makes it much easier to spot the id card if it ever falls on the floor someplace onto some other stuff, or falls from the x-ray belt. How about rarely jumpseating on another airline and the gate agent forgets to give it back to you (!) as you are running late! This card has never set off the warning.

Last edited by Ignition Override; 6th Apr 2005 at 21:36.