PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Holders Vs Available Jobs
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2005, 12:34
EGCC4284

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was lucky enough to of jumped on the property ladder about 13 years ago which meant last year I had a lot of capital tied up in our house.

Not only is it very difficult these days for first time buyers to get onto the property ladder, but I would guess that there's not too many wannabes around with spare cash tied up in property that can released to help fund their dream.

How is a modern 21 year old still living at home with their parents going to raise the £30,000 +

How long would it take some 20+ year olds to save this much cash in today's average day job with today's salaries.

Give it 5 -10 years and the numbers of self improvers may start to dry up just like flying instructors seem to be doing right now.

I remember 12 years ago when I started my so called career as a long distance lorry driver, I was doing all the hours God sends and received poor pay. Employers attitude was "if you don't like it, there's the gate" crap.

Trying to get a decant job driving for a supermarket giant like Tesco's, Asda, Morrison's Etc or for some of the car carrying company's or even on the petrol delivering jobs with Shell, Esso, BP etc etc was like dead mans shoes. You had to of had a relative or friend working there to get you in.

Then the good old government made it a bit more difficult to obtain your HGV class 1 driving licence which meant you had to drive a smaller size HGV's (class 3's) for a period of time ( 1 or 2 years I think ) before you could then go onto take your test on the Articulated vehicles (class 1's) driving test.

With there being very very little work around for HGV class 3 drivers, nobody required them and lack of need along with the poor treatment received by all meant very few bothered coming into the industry which has now caused one of the biggest shortfalls in the transport industry for years.

That's why the has been a boom over the last 5 years of HGV driver agencies advertising in newspapers jumping on the bandwagon of the shortage and trying to make a killing by taking a slice of cake out of the mega demand. HGV drivers wages have nearly doubled in the last 10 years.

HGV driver are now in the driving seat and are beginning to choose who they work for.

When I hear story's of the Irish low cost and others treating the pilots like they are idiots, I think of how things can change in a space of 5 to 10 years in the favour of the work force and I hope that's what's going to happen in aviation.

Hopefully the terms and conditions will take a U turn for the best and the rates for the job may go through the roof especially for new starters going onto their first turbo prop job.

Pilots especially very experienced ones are as far as I'm concerned a very expensive assets like aircraft and should be treated with the respect they deserve from employers before they start moving on to wherever the grass starts to be greener first..

One other thing for sure, I'm NOT paying in advance for a type rating. I do not have any problems with being bonded to a company for a few years but that's were I draw the line. I have already spent a fortune.

Am I talking rubbish???????

Apologies for poor English and spelling, left school with not a lot.

father murry

No offence taken and thanks for acknowledging with a second posting.

I was not going to lower myself to spoiling a good thread by getting into an argument with anybody who has a right to post their views here on pprune.

This is what it's all about, sharing views, knowledge and opinions.

Last edited by EGCC4284; 6th Apr 2005 at 14:02.